Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What do comics, UX and a new Google browser have in common?

So I stumbled across http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/ today and loved it. Well in my opinion it's hard not to like things that Scott McCloud does.
One of the reasons this resonated is because it's a technique I recently used that seemed to work really well. I was working with a client to analyse the current customer experience with a view to see what opportunities there are for improvement. When it came to presenting to the stakeholders I was really keen that we presented the full story. The problem of course is one of attention economics. To give the full details of what I found would have produced a tome of a document that would have gone unread, gathering dust on some exec's desk before it was replaced by the next consulting organisations tome. Also being a fan of Tufte and Presentation Zen I was somewhat loathed to try to condense the message into a few bullet points and risk loosing the impact of the message.
So I produced a comic strip of the current experience. There was 12 comic-styled images that told the day in the life of a customer during their interactions with my client's brand in storyboard format.
They say that a picture speaks a thousand words, so imagine what 12 little picture did to explain the situation? Without investing hardly any time at all the execs and stakeholders were quickly able to identify with their customers and see the pain points and opportunities for improvement. What's more it was an easily portable document which the stakeholders could use to communicate both up and down the command chain and make 'stuff' happen.
I particularly like Scott's illustration of the development of 'chrome' for the same reasons. It talks to everyone, not just techs and devs and it doesn't require much time investment to understand and you get multiple viewpoints in the one story.
Yey to comic books...off to the comic store to buy more

No comments: