Friday, August 29, 2008

There are many reasons why Lotus Notes sux...

here's 2:
  • Shortcut keys provide quicker access to common functionality. Why therefore is Ctrl/Apple N associated with 'create a new database'? I send 100s of emails daily but have never used Notes to create a db once!
  • Infinite, inescapable loops - I decide not to bother sending a note with a meeting acceptance, so I hit Escape (keyboard) - a universal command for 'get me the hell out of here'.








    This alert box appeared with the options:
    'Click Yes to send as is,
    Click No to send without comments,
    Click Cancel to continue editing.'

    I'm sorry! Didn't I just say escape? As in 'go away, I don't want to send this at all?' So I click the onscreen cancel button and go back to edit mode and when I try to close the window I get the same dialogue box. Ad infinitum. Ad nauseum! Guess what? I can't even quit the damn application without getting the same alert! I had to force quit the application to kill this continuous causal effect!

3 comments:

Damana Madden said...

Are you using Notes on a Mac or Windows? I had a similar esc conversation with someone recently and shared that on a PC, escape does get you out but what you want on a Mac is command-w.

Unknown said...

Mac - but even cmd Q didn't work! Anyway the point is there is a common action missing and without poor user (me) gets caught up in frustration. Bad UI design.

Rob Findlay said...

Yes Lotus Notes does indeed suck. Cant believe they're still in business.